Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Baking Day - My Version

I was inspired by several posts on other blogs, especially Money Saving Mom, to experiment with a "Baking Day" of sorts here. The basic idea is to make a bunch of items that you can freeze and use over several weeks. I love this idea! My only problem is that we don't have a large freezer - just the one above our fridge! And right now it is pretty full anyways. So yesterday and today I did a scaled down version of Baking Day.

Yesterday, I made Mindee's Monster Cookies and baked a few for dessert. Today, I rolled the rest of the dough into balls and did some flash freezing (freezing them on a cookie sheet until solid and putting them into a freezer bag).

Last night, I made a large batch of party mix - one of my all-time favorite snacks. My dad's party mix is the absolute best but I had him teach me his ways when I was back home and I am doing my best to duplicate it. Obviously, I don't freeze this :)

Today, I brewed a pot of coffee and froze it in ice cube trays to use for homemade "frappuccinos" and CrockPot Pumpkin Spice Lattes.

I also cooked a large batch of white rice and froze it - I hate making rice so why not make a whole bunch at a time to get it over with?! I divided it into portions and froze it flat in freezer bags. We will use this with salmon and chicken stir fry in the next few weeks.

Last, but not least, I tried a new recipe for Cranberry Pumpkin Scones since I had all the ingredients on hand and it combined some of my favorite fall tastes.

It feels so good to have stuff stored up for those busy days - I just hope it doesn't all attack me when I open the freezer!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE having baked stuff ready to go in the freezer but have never had much luck freezing balls of cookie dough. Somehow, some way they seem to disappear before I bake them.

    It turns out that frozen balls of cookie dough are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your'e the best!!!!!

    ReplyDelete