Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Chicken Stuffing Casserole

I've been searching for great freezer meals lately. Lots of babies being born, friends in need and freezer space! I love the feeling of having meals in the freezer ready to help out.

This one has been a hit, especially with new moms - not spicy or tomato-based. I cannot say I have tried it because I do not eat cheese - pause for the gasps - but I have had requests for the recipe. That has to be a good sign!

I experimented with taking pictures of each step a la the Pioneer Woman but I have to say that it was a little more stressful than I thought! I may do it again, but definitely not all the time!

Here it is...Chicken Stuffing Casserole!



Ingredients:
• 2 packages (6 ounces each) chicken stuffing mix
• 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
• 1 cup milk
• 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
• 2 cups frozen corn
• 2 cans (8 ounces each) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
• 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Prepare stuffing mixes according to package directions.


Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine soup and milk; set aside.


You'll need two 8-in. square baking dishes. No, those are not square. The circles were all I had. And it worked. Either way, your dishes will be very full. Just preparing you.

Grease the pans.
Spread the stuffing equally into each pan.


Then layer chicken...


corn...
mushrooms...
soup mixture...
and cheese.

I told you it would be full!



Cover and freeze one casserole for up to 3 months. Cover and bake the second casserole at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is melted.

Note: I usually just freeze them both but you could make one for yourself for dinner and freeze the other!

To use frozen casserole: Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking (do not thaw). Bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.

6 comments:

  1. Erin, I loved this when you made it for us! So yummy. I looked for it on your blog on purpose because I plan on making it with leftovers from our Thanksgiving meal. (Yes, I am thinking about Thanksgiving already. Show me one teacher not looking forward to Thanksgiving break!) Actually, this will be the first year I cook for Reuben & I so I'm trying to get prepared now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. actually, latrice said it, but i used reuben's account because i don't have gmail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad I happened upon your blog and found this recipe! A friend of mine just had a new baby and I just found out no one had meals set up for her (we only know each other through our kids' preschool) so I offered to bring her one and her face just lit up. I am so making this because they can have the other casserole for another night that they need it. We are very active in small groups at our church and for the births of both my kids and for a surgery I had to have we had meals set up for 2 weeks for us and it was such a huge blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this recipe and have made it multiple times. Thank you so much for posting it.

    I will be putting this into my "freezer meal" rotation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm making it right now but substituted french cut green beans for the corn and low fat sour cream for the milk. I think it's going to be awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My business partners wanted WI 00-2011 some time ago and were informed of an excellent service that has a searchable database . If others are looking for WI 00-2011 too , here's http://goo.gl/i6iQ2o

    ReplyDelete