Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mom's BBQs: A Little Update

Sloppy joes. Taverns. Loose meat sandwiches.

We always called them BBQs.

And I'm a little picky about how they taste. So is my husband.

Needless to say I never made them because of this very reason.

Until last night.

I decided to use my mom's recipe which I have always loved. I only changed two things from that beloved recipe:

1. The amount of meat.
2. The type of meat.

My mom's recipe calls for 2 to 2.5 pounds of ground beef. I decided to give it a shot with 3 pounds ground turkey.

GASP.

I did not take a bite until Stephen had because I really wanted to see his reaction. I was really nervous. Isn't that silly?!

He took a bite and...

"Mmmm...very good!"

And we have a winner, folks!!! (Yes, I am always this excited when I find a new food my husband really likes.)

He even asked for another one before the first one was even gone!

So it was a success for our family. Maybe it will be for you too!

Mom's Updated BBQs

Ingredients
3 pounds ground turkey
1 can tomato soup
2 Tbsp dried onion flakes (I actually used 1 Tbsp of Tastefully Simple's Onion Onion)
4 Tbsp ketchup
2 Tbsp yellow mustard
2 Tbsp vinegar
2 Tbsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Brown the meat. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking to the bottom. Serve on hamburger buns - or hot dog buns just to make the kids smile!

NOTE: This meat freezes well so don't be afraid to make a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment