Monday, August 3, 2009

My Favorite Banana Bread


Banana bread. Always making it, but never with the same recipe! I seem to be constantly in search of the perfect banana bread recipe because the boys love it so much.

And now I've found it. I'm done looking. This is the one.

I should have figured it would come from this cookbook.


Only the most wonderful cookbook on the face of the earth I do believe. If you know of one better, send it to me because I need to see it. (I'll always take a new cookbook!) But you need to get this one.

I could write a whole post on how much I love America's Test Kitchen but I'll spare you for now and move on to the recipe.

The keys to this recipe are...
-VERY ripe bananas
-plain yogurt
-very gently mixed batter

And don't forget to save those overripe bananas in the freezer so you have them on hand when you want to make banana bread! Just peel them and stick them in a freezer bag. Set them out to thaw before you start baking and you're ready to go!

Give it a try - I think you'll enjoy it as much as the boys and I do!

ATK Banana Bread

Ingredients
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 very ripe, soft, darkly speckled large bananas, mashed well (about 1 1/2 cups)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs, beaten lightly
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse (optional)

Directions
Adjust oven rack to lower middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously coat a 9 by 5 inch loaf pan with vegetable oil spray.

Whisk flour, sugar, baking soda, salt together in large bowl; set aside.

Whisk the mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs, yogurt and vanilla together in a separate bowl.

Gently fold banana mixture into dry ingredients with rubber spatula until just combined and batter looks thick and chunky. DO NOT OVER MIX!!! Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top.

Bake until loaf is golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 55 minutes.

Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Let cool for one hour.


1 comment:

  1. That bread does look good! It's got the same ingredients as the recipe I use; I'll have to try this version and see if I like it better. Looks promising!

    ReplyDelete