Friday, October 9, 2009

Banana Crumb Muffins


I had some bananas that were at the perfect ripeness for banana bread...but I wanted something a little different.

So off to allrecipes.com I went to find a banana muffin recipe - and I came across this!

I have always been a big fan of streusel topping on baked goods - coffee cake, muffins, etc. - so it's no surprise these sounded delicious to me.

And they are! Or else I wouldn't be posting it here!

The original recipe calls for 1/3 melted butter and claims it will only yield 10 muffins. A few of the reviews suggested substituting 1/3 vegetable oil and ending up with 12 muffins. I didn't have enough butter so I gave it a shot - and they came out perfect! No need to try the butter for me!


Banana Crumb Muffins

Muffins:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 bananas, mashed
3/4 cup white sugar
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Streusel Topping:
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter


Directions:


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease 12 muffin cups, or line with muffin papers.

In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

In another bowl, beat together bananas, sugar, egg and melted butter. Stir the banana mixture into the flour mixture just until moistened. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups.

In a small bowl, mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and cinnamon. Cut in 1tablespoon butter until mixture resembles coarse cornmeal. Sprinkle topping over muffins.

Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....we'll be trying these tomorrow! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love "allrecipes" and I made these about a month ago. You are right--they are delicious!
    Today I made pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, and my hubby was disappointed. "Oh," he said. "I was hoping you were making those banana muffins you made a few weeks back." :-)
    We will be making those again very soon!

    ReplyDelete