Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Short Order Home Fries

WARNING: This is not a healthy recipe in any way, shape or form.

WARNING: These are so delicious, you will want to eat the whole batch.

I am a big fan of meat and potatoes for breakfast. And by that, I mean bacon...mmm, bacon...sausage, and hashbrowns.

However, I have never been successful at making good hashbrowns, or home fries, at home.

Until Cook's Country (a division of America's Test Kitchen) entered my life. When watching the show one afternoon on PBS, they were making diner-style breakfast foods - omelets, home fries, etc.

The Home Fries are what caught my eye and I had to make them.

And this is where I had my revelation: the kind of potato you use makes a HUGE difference.

So I bought some Yukon Gold potatoes and got to work.

All I can say is crisp, flavorful, magnificent home fries were the result. And I once again am in awe of America's Test Kitchen.

Give these a shot for breakfast and you will not be sorry.

Short Order Home Fries

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (4 medium), scrubbed and cut into 3/4-inch pieces
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion , chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon table salt
Ground black pepper

Directions
Arrange potatoes in large microwave-safe bowl, top with 1 tablespoon butter, and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Microwave on high until edges of potatoes begin to soften, 5 to 7 minutes, shaking bowl (without removing plastic) to redistribute potatoes halfway through cooking.

Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Transfer to small bowl.

Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in now-empty skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and pack down with spatula. Cook, without moving, until underside of potatoes is brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Turn potatoes, pack down again, and continue to cook until well browned and crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue cooking, stirring potatoes every few minutes, until crusty, 9 to 12 minutes. Stir in onion, garlic salt, salt, and pepper to taste. Serve.

1 comment:

  1. My mouth is watering. I LOVE home fries, and I'm pregnant, so suddenly I'm craving them. Fortunately (for my after-baby-weight-loss-plan-for-fitting-into-the-maid-of-honor-dress-six-weeks-after-giving-birth) I have no Yukon Gold potatoes in the house at the moment.
    Otherwise, I'm quite sure, as you said, I would eat the entire recipe myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete