Friday, October 2, 2009

Pumpkin Turkey Chili



I get a daily recipe in my inbox from allrecipes.com and this was the recipe yesterday. I was intrigued, loving all things pumpkin of course.

Looking at the recipe, I realized I had most of the ingredients on hand but not exactly. So I made it my own! A few tweaks here and there and I was VERY happy with the result.

This dish just screams of fall and that is perfect for me. Plus, it was super easy and very filling. Great for a cold, snuggly, lazy day - like yesterday was for us!

Stephen tried a bite and thought it wasn't bad. I ate it for dinner and will gladly eat the leftovers! Honestly, I loved it!

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

Ingredients
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 pound ground turkey
2 10-oz cans Rotel Mild tomatoes with green chiles
1 15-oz can pureed pumpkin
1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
1/4-1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 dash salt
1-2 cups frozen corn

Directions

Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, and saute the onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the turkey, and cook until evenly brown. Drain, and mix in tomatoes and pumpkin. Season with chili powder, cumin, pepper, and salt. Stir in the frozen corn. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Serve topped with Cheddar cheese, sour cream, Fritos, etc.

You could add in a 1/2 cup a yellow or red peppers with the onion and garlic - I didn't have any in the house so I skipped it. If I had them, I would have thrown them in too!

Next time, I may also add a little chicken broth to thin the chili out. I like the chili thick, but this is an option to suit your tastes!

1 comment:

  1. Looks good! What about linking this to Tammy's Recipes, where the theme of the week is pumpkin?

    ReplyDelete