Monday, September 14, 2009

Apple Butter

Last year, I discovered a new fall favorite when I tried Mindee's marvelous Apple Butter recipe. I froze a bunch and have been eating it - and loving it - ever since.

Well, now Joshua loves it too and I have a lot of apples to use. So I thought, let's try another Apple Butter recipe!

Mindee's recipe starts with applesauce and this time around I wanted a recipe that goes from apples to apple butter. And my friend Annie was kind enough to share this one, about which I have heard rave reviews.

Now, this is in the slow cooker right now so I can't tell you how I like it yet, but if smell is any indication, I'm going to LOVE it!

The recipe calls for 4 cups of sugar, and being the great planner that I am, I only had 3 cups of white sugar on hand. So I used 1 cup of brown sugar as well - hope I didn't mess it up! We'll see!

Now, for your enjoyment...

Apple Butter
Makes approximately 4 pints

Ingredients
5 1/2 lbs apples, peeled and finely chopped (I use 3-4 different types of apples)
4 cups sugar
2-3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt

Directions
1. Place apples in a large bowl.
2. Combine sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt.
3. Pour over apples and mix well.
4. Place in crock pot, cover and cook on high for 1 hour.
5. Decrease heat to low; cover and cook on low for 9-11 hours or until thickened and dark brown.
6. Stir occasionally.
7. Uncover and cook on low for 1 hour longer.
8. If desired, whisk until smooth.
9. Spoon into freezer containers, leaving 1/2-inch head space.
10. Cover and freeze.

No comments:

Post a Comment