Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken

This is one of my favorite ways to make chicken - and it came from a heart-healthy magazine!

I used to try recipe after recipe for oven fried chicken looking for that perfect crispy exterior - I have I mentioned I love fried chicken? - but I had very little luck.

When we tried this one, I was very happy with the results and it is now on our menu every month!

I use boneless skinless chicken breasts and cut them into strips to make our own homemade chicken tenders! It's a hit with the whole family, especially with dipping sauces...Jeremiah-ketchup, me-honey, Stephen-marinara!

Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken

Ingredients
Vegetable oil spray
4 cups wheat-flake or cornflake cereal, lightly crushed
1 medium garlic clove, crushed (optional)
1 teaspoon ground ginger, or to taste
1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
Pepper to taste
6 pieces skinless chicken with bone (about 2 1/4 pounds), all visible fat discarded
Vegetable oil spray, butter-flavored or original

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a baking sheet with vegetable oil spray.

In a pie pan or on a piece of aluminum foil, stir together the cereal and garlic.

In a small bowl, combine the ginger, paprika, salt if using, and pepper. Sprinkle the seasonings on both sides of each piece of chicken.

Roll the chicken in the cereal crumbs to coat. Lightly spray the chicken on all sides with vegetable oil spray and put on the prepared baking sheet.

Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the chicken is golden brown, tender and no longer pink in the center. (Timing will vary according to the thickness of the chicken pieces.)

1 comment:

  1. This sounds very tasty, and heathier than the fried baked chicken I made last night...Thanks for another intriguing recipe!

    ReplyDelete