Friday, September 18, 2009

Loser Fish Tacos

So every once in a while, I feel the need to throw in a recipe I like even though this site is called "Cooking for the Boys."

I adapted this recipe from one of the Biggest Loser cookbooks - hence the name - and I was pleasantly surprised.

For the record, I like fish. My husband does not. So I had that going for me when we tried this.

The original recipe was too spicy for both of us so I put a range on the seasoning so you can decide how spicy to make it.

Try this and you can be a loser too! In a good way, of course.

Loser Fish Tacos

Ingredients


Soft or hard shell tacos
1 pound Alaskan Pollack (mahimahi or monkfish are great too), cut into 1” pieces
1-2 Tbsp salt-free Mexican seasoning (like Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle)
Salt, to taste
Olive oil spray
Toppings: lettuce, tomatoes, olives, cheese, etc.
½ cup fresh pico de gallo or fresh salsa (refrigerated, not jarred), drained if watery
2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro, or more to taste

Directions

Season the fish evenly with the seasoning and salt.

Place a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, lightly mist with the olive oil spray. Working in batches if necessary, add the fish pieces in a single layer. Cook, turning occasionally, for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily in the center and is slightly browned.

Meanwhile, microwave the stack of tortillas in a damp paper towel or lint-free dish towel on low until warmed, 15 to 30 seconds or heat hard shell tacos in the oven until crispy.

Divide the fish evenly among the tortillas, placing it in a strip down the center. Top with the preferred toppings, then the salsa. Sprinkle with the cilantro, fold the tortillas to form tacos, and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I'll put this on our menu the next time we buy fish. My fish-sticks-turned-into-tacos experiment was a flop, so I'm glad to see this recipe. But the cilantro will be for me alone. =)

    ReplyDelete